August 19, 2007

Joseph

Our plans last night kinda changed... drastically. The couple we were supposed to go away with ended up remembering a birthday party they were supposed to go to (long story) so we were alone... I really wanted to try "The Melting Pot" for dinner but Matt doesn't like fondue due to a Christmas dinner experience we had with it a few years back, the food just doesn't get done fast enough for him, so although he was willing to go for me, I could tell that he wasn't thrilled at the idea (if you have any ideas for helping me convice him sometime I'm open to suggestions). We tossed around a few other ideas but ended up in Grandville at the mall (TGI Fridays). While we were there I wanted to get myself something (retail therapy again), but Elliot is the one that ended up making out so well! (Jeans at Gap were buy one get one 50% off) Dinner was good and dessert was wonderful (one piece of Godiva chocolate)! DH scored BIG nice points tonight by actually going back to the mall after we left and going inside with me to get a piece of chocolate when I mentioned that chocolate sounded good... BIG points!

This morning was such a great morning for staying in bed... maybe if I didn't have three kiddos that didn't think that was a fun idea! I leave the windows open at night until about November when Matt just CAN NOT stand it anymore, I LOVE LOVE LOVE to be cold at night (another random thing to add to my 50), add in the sound of rain this morning and it just made for a great day! But alas we did get up and we did get to church! I actually went to get a coffee before church though for the first time since early spring... it was just that cold out!

Our message this morning was on Joseph, I think this is my favorite story in the whole bible! And it keeps popping up... it was the subject of the last study I did in my Beth Moore book and like I said it was the message this morning. I just love the lessons we learn from his life... God uses hopeless and disasterous situations to accomplish his will. The words Joseph said to his brothers when they came to him in Egypt and were remorsefull for all they had done to him are found in Genesis 50:20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done... It took years for Joseph to realize why he was being sold, imprisoned, and made to suffer, but eventually he got there and God revealed his plan and will for him. God's will will be accomplished no matter what it takes. There is so much revealed to us in the story of Joseph's life.

And some other random things I've underlined in my Beth Moore study that I wanted to share...
We want to promise our children so much; yet we can truly guarantee so little. Thank God, He differs from us! He who promised is also able to perform 100 percent of the time! His every promise is attached to a certified guarantee.
We will not fully realize the cost of sin until we finally sit at His feet and know the inexpressible joy of His presence. How can we know what we have lost until we have regained it? Worse than any curse, we have lost the right of immediate access to the inner sanctum of God's glory. Yes, there would have to be a ministry of reconciliation.
The very heart of the gospel is realizing that God did not simply provide a sacrifice for us but instead of us. That is the good news. There is only one way to receive it after we have understood it - with profound humility and gratitude.
Have you ever noticed that God often requires us to leave our comfort zones in order to answer our calling? That through which God hones us is rarely within the parameters of the familiar. When we refuse to leave what is comfortable we often forfeit what is comfortable: our whole purpose for being.

All about Elliot
This morning (and in the past few weeks) he has started signing "All Done" and "More", not necesarily the correct way, but I know what he means! He is waving bye bye, night night and hi now. He still says Dexter, he does So Big, he is getting his second tooth (and we are all suffering through that process). He is waking up in the middle of the night, sometimes will go right back to sleep and most of the time won't. He has absolutely NO INTEREST in walking, I try to get him to stand up and he falls right down, although I know he can do it b/c he has done it for me, he just doesn't want to. Oh well, I can wait!

So hopefully everyone had a great Sunday/weekend!

2 comments:

S Huiz said...

Thanks for the great biblical reminders. I have always been drawn to Joseph's story as well. If you EVER want to go to the Melting Pot, I will be GLAD to join you. It is my absolute favorite restaurant. We had one in NC and I loved to go there. I haven't even been to the one here. Glad you got some deals for Elliot. It was the perfect morning to stay in bed- love rainy mornings too. Our phone rang at 7:00 though so we woke up. Our friend canceling race plans since the weather was so bad. I never got back to sleep. Church starts at 10:30 in the summer, so we still got to lounge around before going. Ryan is out of town from Wed. thru Sunday this week, so give me a call.

Nina_VK said...

Girl, I hear with the Melting Pot thing. I would love to go there, but Dino is not a big fan, let alone have that for dinner. Oh WEll (sigh)....

Thanks for the great message(s). SO much great stuff there!!!

So fun to hear about Elliot! Isa JUST (like today) started walking with her walker. She was never interested until today, but not she is all over the place with that thing. Does he say many words? Isa doesn't talk all that much at all. Besides Momma and Dada, she only says..HI, Bye, all done, whats that, and More (but just barely.)
Oh yeah, I TOTALLY hear ya bout having it COLD at bedtime. IF we weren't so cheap, we would have the air on at night at like 60 degrees. LOL :)
Have a day!