May 24, 2010

Bike Ride

Kurt shared this at church this week and I loved it, I loved that it was almost like I could have written it (except mine would have had many more gramatical and spelling errors...)  Please take just a moment and read it, you WILL be moved, I promise!

When I first met Christ


It seemed as though life was rather like a bike ride,

But it was a tandem bike,

And I noticed that Christ

Was in the back helping me pedal.


I don't know just when it was that

He suggested we change places,

But life has not been the same since.



When I had control, I knew the way,

It was rather boring, but predictable...

It was the shortest distance between two points.



But when He took the lead,


He knew delightful long cuts,


Up mountains, and through rocky places,


At breakneck speeds,


It was all I could do to hang on!


Even though it looked like madness,


He said, "Pedal"



I worried and was anxious and asked,

"Where are you taking me?"

He laughed and didn't answer,

And I started to learn to trust.



I forgot my boring life


And entered into the adventure.


And when I'd say, "I'm scared,"


He'd lean back and touch my hand.



He took me to people with gifts that I needed.


Gifts of healing, acceptance, and joy.


He said, "Give the gifts away;


They're extra baggage, too much weight."



So I did, I gave them to the people we met,

And I found that in giving I received,

And still our burden was light.



I did not trust Him, at first, In control of my life.

I thought He'd wreck it;

But He knows bike secrets,


Knows how to make it bend to take sharp corners,


Knows how to jump to clear high rocks,


Knows how to fly to shorten scary passages.



And I am learning to shut up


and pedal in the strangest places,


And I'm beginning to enjoy the view


And the cool breeze on my face


With my delightful constant companion, Jesus Christ.






And when I'm sure I just can't do anymore,


He just smiles and says...


"Pedal."

3 comments:

Joanne said...

SO SO true.
This is a wonderful way to look at careening through life with Christ.
Thanks for sharing this...I needed it right now.

Sarah said...

LOVE it!

Tracey DK said...

That was very neat and so cool! Thanks for sharing. Your faith is so amazing Lynette! Would love to have it emailed to me so I could borrow it if you ever have a chance!