April 10, 2007

Why I scrap and a challenge to you...

First of all, can you tell I like to change my header... I need to figure out the right size to make it so it fits!

So, I've been thinking about why I scrap lately, and there are the obvious reasons... to preserve memories o fmy kids, to document thier growing up, but there are other reasons too... I want to preserve who we are, not just what we look like or say, but the deeper parts of ourselves. I was just reading Simple Scrapbooks, one of the magazines that I bought when I thought I was going to have plenty of time to relax and read, which didn't happen, but that's another story for another day..., anyway, I found an article called "Write from the Heart", about using meaningful journaling, and they had a list of prompts, which I thought were great for creating a detailed book about myself and my family for my kids, something they can have to really give them a glimpse into our lives...
Some of them were... (can you tell yet that I like ...)
random childhood memories
moments that changed your life
Personal accomplishments/milestones
physical traits that make you unique
goals you've set for the future
recipes you love or make often
words that describe you or a family member
people who've touched your life
places you lived
what you're afraid of
what you're grateful for
things you love about someone in your life
things you couldn't live without
things that inspire you
Another sight that I like that normally forces me to go deeper is Digi-Dare, thier challenges normally make me think, and get it down in a layout. I plan to create an album for my family about these types of topics, not just pretty smiles and happy thought, but the good, the bad adn the flat out terrible!
I challenge you too to create something (not necessarily a scrapbook, maybe just a journal or letters or anything else you can think of) to leave your children/families with about you and your inner thoughts!

On another note... we got a letter in the mail today telling us that because of recent test scores Landon qualified for the gifted and talented program at our school. I'm truly not suprised, we have always known that he was extermely smart in some areas. He does struggle with reading comprehension, but he can read at a much higher level than he is supposed to be at. The problem with this program is that he would have to go to a different elementary school, and then go back to our district for middle and high school, and were not sure that that would be beneficial to him, having to leave his friends and then leave any new friends he makes in two years. There is an informational meeting on Monday, so we are gong to go to that and try to find out more, right now I'm thinking that we are leaning toward just keeping him in his regular classroom. I just wish he was challenged more.

No pictures or anything to share today... maybe tomorow!

Ta-ta for now!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Love the new banner - and the inspiration of why/what to scrap is awesome!

Congrats to Landon - that is great!!!

Mary said...

Landon is such a smart little guy. I will pray for you while you make this decision. Whatever decision that you make, I am sure that Landon will take and use it to his benefit. Love you guys!!!!