December 11, 2007

BSF Last Night
Discussion talked about the three different reactions that we can have to Jesus.
1. Doubt: We doubt because of our circumstances, wrong expectations about Jesus and because we can't see the big picture for our lives. Doubt is not a sin unless it leads us to rejecting Jesus. Truth is the antedote for doubt. We need to go to the bible, but the truth will have no affect on our lives if we don't accept it.
2. Indifference: No response is the same thing as rejecting him. An application that our leader brought to light for me was: Where am I refusing to change a habit, attitude or reaction, refusing to change is rejection.
3. Acceptance: We are meant to be yoked to Jesus, just like 2 animals yoked together to pull a plow. When we are weary & brudened we need to rely on Christ adn not do it ourselves. The task is not easy but it is not our responsibility, it is through his strength and power we accomplish the task. Rest from the weary burdens of life is found in Jesus.

So, I found that applicable to my life in many different ways... by the way we were studying Matthew 11:1-30.

Another thing that I feel like keeps surfacing for me is Christian persecution. I have never been persecuted in a terrible way, but have been made very aware lately of other people in other places that have. We are so lucky to live in a country where we are for the most part free to worship as we desire. We won't be imprisoned for worshiping in a church or our home, we won't be beaten for praying in public. I don't often think of what a privilage it is to be able to pray before a meal or attend church, but I'm starting to realize just how great this is. I'm saddened by the thought that in many countries there is terrible persecution, but am astonished that these people stand strong in thier faith. It's so amazing that they love Jesus so much that they don't care about thier lives anymore. They are willing to die for thier love. I'm struck by the thought that I don't know if I could be as strong. I like to think that I could be, but I always question it. From Matthew 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell

If you want to read more about Christian persecution you can go here or here. And, I just found this one too... here.

Allright, I know I had more to say... in fact I thought this would be all over the place, but I'm exhausted and need to get to bed EARLY tonight, like before 9:00 early! So... sleep tight or enjoy your day, depending when you are reading this!

2 comments:

S Huiz said...

Thanks for the detailed BSF notes. I didn't do such a great job taking notes last night. I was antsy and uncomfortable and the speaker in the back of the church is staticky so I find myself being totally annoyed with the scratching noises. I had issues! :-) I'll be home BORED tomorrow so call me. :-) Thanks again for the yummy treats tonight. Sadie claimed the chex mix as her own and I claimed the puppy chow. Does that say anything about girls and food????

Amanda said...

Good notes - I missed the BSF b/c we got back from a weekend without kiddos and I just needed to be with them!