February 24, 2008

Living Healthy

I've been attending a Health type class at church for the past few weeks and am truly trying to make a few changes, I definately have my weaknesses though (one of which is CHOCOLATE, give it to me with peanut butter and that's even better). I like quick food too, something I can grab from the fridge or cupboard and eat, typically while watching tv or playing on the computer too! (Terrible habit). Anyway, tonight's class (this is for you Kate, b/c you didn't make it) was a taste testing one. Found some good stuff that I wouldn't normally even think to try. Never been a huge fan of hummus, but I think I could get used to it, especially with the snow peas, that was good. Jicama (pronounced Hicama) was yummy too, just to snack on, there was some squash carrot soup stuff that was pretty good, dates were yummy (and even better filled with walnuts), some quinoa salad, 70% dark chocolate was ok too, it would definately cure a chocolate craving with only a tiny tiny bite too! Power balls were super yummy (I'll share the recipe soon). My fav was the fruit that we tried, pomengranate. SUPER YUMMY! I've actualyl purchased it before but was unsure how to cut/eat it so it rotted in my fridge and I threw it away. I think Sarah's fav was the drink that we had... :) Apple Cider and spinach! Sounds absolutely terrible, looks even worse but it didn't taste all that bad. I couldn't drink it regularly though, or maybe even ever. It's all a head thing for me, if I see it looks terrible, my mind says it tastes terrible. For me it's all about stepping outside of my box, trying new things, whcih is VERY hard for me, but I'm making baby steps! Sarah and I even tried to go to the health food store right after class (it was closed though), but I'm getting groceries tomorow morning (jealous aren't you?), so I will be adding a few new things to my cart and maybe visiting the health food store too! :)

Our weekend was great, we did dinner at OBI last night (see #15 of 2/21 post), then took the kids bowling. The smoke free ally was totally full and they said it would be a while til they had a free lane so we headed to a very NOT smoke free ally... the kids had a great time but we all STUNK so bad when we left that we all needed showers immediately after arriving home. My coat stinks sooooo bad! This afternoon after church we took naps then we all went sledding! I wasn't sure what E would think but he LOVED it! We took him down the HUGE hill, ramps and all multiple times and he kept asking for more! To bad there wasn't a pull rope to bring us back up b/c it was a LOT of work carrying him and a sled back up. All in all it was a great family weekend, lot's of good quality time together... quantity and quality!

5 comments:

S Huiz said...

The fruit was PAPAYA, not pomegranate, so don't buy the wrong thing while shopping. Which if you haven't ever had a pomegranate it is great too. Enjoyed the class. Sounds like a great weekend- very action packed. Good thing you have the week off from work to recuperate from your busy weekend!

Beck said...

Sounds like an interesting class! I'm a big fan of Nature's Market on South Washington in Holland, and Harvest Health in Hudsonville... though I'm not so good with follow-through when it comes to that stuff... I've had more pb&j in the last six months than in the six years prior combined! :(

Sounds like you had a great weekend with the fam! Enjoy the coming week, and I'll see you Monday night!

Unknown said...

I'll try to make it next week. While you all were eating health food, I was eating Chinese and Ice Cream Cake...good t hing I ran 8 miles to burn that stuff off!

Amanda said...

The health food store here in Hudsonville is awesome I hear - Harvest Health Foods. I actually about 3 buildings down from it and have never been there - but I do NOT consider myself a health food eater - LOL! Good luck with your new foods! Pmegranate is good too as Sarah mentioned - have a good recipe for pineapple and pomegranates I should share - it's a great holiday party food to bring!

Unknown said...

The Grapples do really just taste like regular apples...but did it smell like grape bubbble gum to you? Mine did!

I hope we don't get a bunch of snow tonight! The kids were already planning for a snow day when I was at lunch today! Tell the kids I said hi!