May 20, 2007

Weekend re-cap

So I told showed you quite a bit of our weekend, but pics can only show so much!
On Friday I had a garage sale with Julie, we both did pretty well and were able to donate a bunch of stuff too! We were able to donate all of our kids summer clothes to a family that is going to Jamaica this summer, she will be bringing a large box of our stuff along with her, so that felt good! After the garage sale (which I might add was only open from 8:30-1:30, we just got sick of it), I went home, cleaned up, relaxed for a short minute.

Then off to dinner at 84 East (YUM YUM YUM) with Kari, then we were going to go to the ballet, well, the power was out in most of downtown so the ballet ended up starting an hour late, so we waited outside with a ton of other people. It really wasn't that bad though, the girls did great! The ballet was great and much shorter than I thought it would be. Kari and I met up with another blog friend and her beautiful daughter there, it was very nice to meet her! :)

Saturday morning I had to go get a birthday present for a party that I forgot about that Bailey was going to, then I had to go wait in line to get ballet tickets for Bailey's ballet (we wait in line to draw numbers and then get in line in order of our numbers (so it's kinda like a lottery), I drew number 44 out of 100, and the girl I was with drew number 97, we were going to buy tickets off of the lower numbers, so we ended up with 44, although we were hoping for a much lower number, not great seats, but there really aren't any terrible seats). Then rush home, mow the lawn (yes, Matt could have done that, but I really don't mind doing it now that we have a rider) while Matt went and got me lunch, ate lunch really fast (like 4 minutes fast) and then off to get Bailey at her birthday party about 20 minutes away. Then we went to the kite festival (see pics below), then home!

This morning we got up and got ready for church, shortly before leaving for church though I got a phone call from Mary (my step-mom). They were at the hospital with my little sister (she's three). Long story short (yes I do know how to shorten things contrary to everything I typed above), she was admitted to the hospital with menengitis, not sure if it's bacterial or viril (did I spell that right?), they won't know til Tuesday, if it's viril they will let her go home, if it's bacterial they will have to keep her on the antibiotics for 12-15 days... in the hospital. A strong willed three year old in a hospital for 2 days is bad enough! So prayers would be appreciated for her...pray that the doctors know what they are doing and that the test results come back as viril (ok, that so doesn't look right, but I can't figure out the right spelling).

So, another subject, this morning in church we sang a short song in closing called "Casual Christian". The lyrics are...
I don't want to be,
I don't want to be a casual christian
I don't want to live,
I don't want to live a lukewarm life
Because I want to light up the night
with an everlasting light
I don't want to live a casual christian life.
and in the spirit of thinking about some deep things lately (more on that at a later date, maybe), I jsut realize that this is a perfect song for what I'm thinking lately.
Our message was great for me too! There was an outline so I'm including some things directly from that for you... (by Rev. Timothy Custer)
"Lessons on being spritually authentic from the first six chapters of Daniel"
1. Be willing to change, but also know when to draw the line (1:1-8)
2. Ask and pray for wisdom and tact (2:14), give God the glory (2:27, 28), and you will often be blessed (2:48, 49) Wisdom is just as important as being tactful.
3. But be faithful regardless of the earthly rewards or consequences, as our top priority is faithfulness to God - - who makes lasting judgements (3:16-18)
4. Show the courage to wisely speak the truth - - even to the powerful and priveleged (4:24-27) This is one I have a hard time with, I need to be more courageous in sharing my faith, there was also a video on GodTube that related to this, it's kinda long (about 6 minutes, but great viewing if you have time) 8 reasons I don't share my faith
5. While faithful living may not always be "popular" it does gain respect and even admiration (5:14) I need to be more faithful in every aspect of my living
6. Faithfulness in the "little" things (6:10) prepares us for faithfulness in the "big" things (6:12-23)
Like Daniel, we must consistently live out our faith as we go out ot our homes, jobs, schools and community.
OK, so I will leave you with that...if your even still with me. I realize this is probably the longest post I've ever posted! So if you made it this far, congratulations!

3 comments:

S Huiz said...

Wow! Is God fighting to be heard today or what???? I just did a post on our sermon too. I think that is awesome! Thanks for the detailed, informative and needed verses. I will definitely be praying for your sister. My thoughts are with you all through this. Keep me updated on her condition. Lots of love, Sarah
PS- I hope you'll be there tomorrow night- I'll look for you.

Amanda said...

Sounds like your weekend did turn out great - good to hear more about it after seeing pics! I can't believe you like mowing the yard - although a rider makes it easier!

I will for sure be praying for your sister - what a touch thing at that age! Keep us up to date.

Tim Custer was a pastor at our church Faith before being called to your church. Great sermons from him normally!

Anonymous said...

I thought the sermon was great on Sunday too. The lyrics to the song were very meaningful- a perfect way to end a deep felt sermon for me. I will definately be praying for Ang- please keep me updated on her health. Have a great week. We'll chat soon!