April 8, 2008

Were Home...

Did you even know we were gone? And did you know I did without the internet for almost an entire 3 days? I connected once and downloaded emails so I could check if the realtor/lawer emailed... but that was it!

So, we left Sunday morning by 8am to go to the Aquarium. We made it there (with the help of the trusty Magellen) by 9:45ish chicago Time. Got to the Aquarium and did all that stuff and left by 1:30. The kids had a good time, but I'm not sure I was as impressed with the whole experience as the money I spent would have a person believe I should be impressed. Not the mention the $45 we spent on 2 lunchables, 3 string cheeses, 1 yogurt 2 drinks a philly beef sandwich and a deli wrap. Are you kidding me????

So we checked into our gorgeous hotel (The Allerton) right on Michigan Ave in the PERFECT location, within walking distance to EVERYTHING! Luckily we had talked to my brother and sister-in-law and found out that the rooms were extremely small so we upgraded to a suite, which meant that we had 2 rooms, one sitting room and one bedroom, perfect for a boy that we didn't know if he would sleep in the same room with the rest of us or not!

After settling in we walked down to the water towers mall to look for shoes for Matt (only 2 or 3 blocks away). Matt found some tennis shoes and some shorts, Bailey got some new earings (dangly ones, her first pair and boy is she PROUD), but that was all. We headed over to the Cheesecake factory for dinner, after struggling to figure out how to get into the restaurant with a stroller we finally made it downstairs and signed in. We waited about 15 minutes to get seated and then we waited almost an hour for our food. Let me tell you that normally cheesecake factory is the highlight of any trip to Chicago for me, that was ruined for all future trips though. We did get free cheesecake out of the deal, but Matt's $7 beers made up for that. $7 for a beer, are you kidding me (again)!?!?

After dinner we walked around for a little while, Landon picked up a new coat and then we headed back to the hotel and got some much needed sleep. Suprisingly Elliot went right to sleep in his pack and play. He has never slept in his pack and play (except for a short nap once in a while). We were so prepared for a terrible trip with little to no sleep. What a nice suprise that was! Really all in all the kids did so GREAT, considering all we did and expected of them!

We woke up bright and early Monday morning (7:30 our time, 6:30 chicago time), tried to waste time by laying in bed for a bit but eventually the monster made us get up and start moving. I asked at the front desk where a bakery was that we could go to for breakfast. The directions were left out of the hotel and then right at the next block and one block up would be the corner bakery. Well, I figured that out of the hotel would mean once we were on Michigan (the entrance to the hotel was on a side street), so we walked and walked and walked and ended up eating at a very very busy Dunkin Donuts. I was slightly discouraged but we all got something.

After breakfast we walked around some more, waiting for shops to open. Specifically American Girl. After we got sick of walking we headed up to the hotel again (which is when I got on the internet), then just Bailey & I headed back out at about 9:45 to go to American Girl. The goal was to get there early so that we could get her doll's hair done (it was looking pretty ratty). You have to get there early or you have to wait forever. We waited outside with a group of other girls and when they opened the doors we were the third group in and the first group upstairs in line for the doll hair salon (Yippeeeee!!!). That meant that we could get the dolls hair done in only 25 minutes (which turned into 45) instead of the hours that some have to wait. While we waited we explored and shopped. Bailey got a t-shirt and some pants and Marisol (the doll) got the same. She was so excited and carried her doll everywhere with her after that! It was fun to spend some one on one time with her too!

We headed back to the hotel after that and we all headed to ESPN for Landon and Matt. We played some (LOTS) of video games and got a wonderful lunch. We had our own private room (they must have seen E running around and screaming), so it was a little less stressful than most of the restaurants we went to (especially Cheesecake Factory).

As we were walking to ESPN we were approached by a homeless man and while I do have compassion, I'm convinced that asking those on the streets is not the answer, there are organizations that will help. Granted, I know this is up for debate and others have other opinions, but this is my blog/my journal so my opinion! Anyway, this man would NOT leave us alone. I was walking as fast as I could and he was talking to Matt behind me, I kept grabbing Bailey up by me and Landon was staying as close to Matt as he could because he was VERY curious as to what this "homeless" stuff was all about, he even grabbed money from his bank before we left to give to a homeless person (he remembered a man from last time we were in Chicago). When he finally left Landon had a lot of questions that we had to answer as best as we could. Landon will soon be donating to an organization that helps homeless very soon I'm sure! I'm glad that he has the compassion, it's all just very hard to explain. We had two other people attatch to matt's hip (figurative) and try to solicit money at two different times too after this.

So anyway... we headed to Navy Pier after lunch. We opted to take the free trolley instead of walking, but as we were getting off the trolley, Elliot's shoe fell off. We didn't realize it until the trolley was half way down the pier... oh joy! Matt wasn't worried about it, oh well, it's just a shoe. But I was, it was a NEW shoe darnit! So Matt walked down the pier (which didn't look far, but was quite a hike) and was able to retrieve it. Bailey, E and I stayed behind in case matt missed the trolley, I could catch it at the stop again. After two trolley's went by and neither one was the one I wanted I gave up and walked to meet Matt. We walked up the pier for a little while checking things out, fun mirrors, stores etc. We then went on a ride on the ferris wheel (which made me a little queasy, but was a fun little thing to do).

Landon's excitement at the whole idea of being in Chicago was fun, he just loved all the people and the tall buildings. It was almost magical to him! It was fun to hear his questions and his theory's for different things.

After the ferris wheel we went to the children's museum. It was Target Free Monday (the first monday of every month). So the kids were free, we just paid for Matt and I. It was so fun, Matt and I both agreed that it would be a great place to go when you don't feel like you are running out of patience (which we both were). We did spend a few hours there despite our lack of patience. The kids built stuff, splashed in water, painted, drew with chalk, climbed and just played and had a GREAT time. We may try to go back some time and just do the children's museum.

After Navy pier Landon and I went to pick up pizza from Ginos East. After ordering they told us it would be 45 minutes so instead of trying to go back to our room and waiting 20 minutes for elevators (which was a perpetual problem), we went to Garretts to get some popcorn at the recommendation of a few people (definately a good recomendation) and then hit Express where I found a few shirts that were on clearance, but since Landon was with me couldn't try them on and unfortunately they will all be going back. We still had time to waste so we went back to the room and them almost immediately turned around and left again (b/c of the elevator issues) and picked up our pizza, which wasn't all that great we didn't think. We then headed out to check out H&M (not impressed) and by the time we were done there everything else was closing so we went back to the room to settle in and watch the college basketball finals. We all fell asleep except for matt. At some point I woke up to him munching on popcorn rather loudly, which made me very irritated (or so he says, I was kinda out of it, although I do remember some of it, I know I get a little irrational when I'm woken up).

This morning we found the Corner Bakery (which we actually found on our trip home from Navy Pier in the taxi). When we got directions originally we were supposed to literally go left out of the hotel, not left on Michigan... duh!!! They had very yummy croissants (or however you would spell that... SARAH????). We were going to walk around a bit and check out a few other stores, but decided to just head to Ikea and then Michigan City instead. So we left our hotel around 9:15 chicago time. Made it to Ikea around 10ish (note to anyone wanting to hit ikea... Tuesday mornings are a GREAT time to go, no one was there). Walked around there for a few hours and got lots of ideas for our "new house", which may never come. AFter that we went to Bass Pro Shops for Matt and then we headed home. We skipped Michigan City... I guess I didn't need anything... hmmmmmmmm?

E was in his stroller or a highchair for about 80% of his waking hours but did exceptionally well the poor guy. The older kids walked forever and ever and ever and never complained. We were amazed at how well everyone did, absolutely AMAZED!!!! It was a great few days of some intense family time, we are all exausted and I have some serious laundry and cleaning to do. Matt is back to work tomorow adn I'm left with the kids. I can't wait to go crawl in my own bed and sleep (although the hotel beds weren't that bad really).

I will be back tomorow with some pictures to share, although I don't think I got anything great I'll share what I have. Just typing all this has worn me out even more!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Sounds VERY similar to a trip we took to Chicago , but all in a day. Minus the aquarium. There are definitely highs and lows there - goods and bads! We did love that Children's Museum though, and Navy Pier. Can't wait to see some pics!

S Huiz said...

Wow- too much to comment on. Sounds like you had a great time- glad the kids enjoyed it so much. I was NOT impressed with H & M either- seemed like the clothes were made very cheaply- didn't fit good at all. I have never been impressed with that aquarium either- the NC aquariums are so much better, that it has always disappointed me to go to the Chicago one. Nice to hear the good review about the children's museum- we have never been there. I hear you on the homeless people- we were approached by several last weekend- sort of ruins your trip. Plus I always feel like they could have a weapon and you'd never know it. Some of them get quite fiesty if you don't give them what they want. Sorry your experiece wasn't good at Cheesecake Factory- they have one of those in Raleigh at my mom's, so we don't have to make that part of our Chicago trip (good thing it sounds like!). Glad B had such success at American Girl Doll store- I love those matching outfits. Are all Chicago hotels lacking in elevator efficiency???????? Ours was HORRIBLE- there were lines for the elevator b/c they were so slow, you had to actually wait in a line to get on one. And I think you spelled croissants right (if not, then I don't know how to spell it myself!) :-) Glad you are home safe and sound- enjoy your cleaning and loads of laundry!

Nina_VK said...

Glad to hear that all in all--everything went well. Bummer about the aquarium! I like that place--maybe it's because the girls love it.
Bummer about the cheesecake factory. I love that place!!! Dino and I are trying to make it to all of them in the US. Obviously Dino has made it to more 'cause he travels a bit.

Oh, yay for Garrets. I love that place... alwasy a huge line. :)

Well, I am glad you made it back safe and sound!! :)
Have a great day!!