February 24, 2010

The Message

I've been looking at 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 this week, looking at the many ways I fail to love others. There are a few people I can think of specifically that I've failed miserably at this. I'm not always patient, somtimes I'm envious, sometimes I boast, sometimes I'm proud, rude and self seeking, I'm easily angered, I keep record of wrongs and I delight in evil. Wow, I'm awful. Then I went to "The Message" to see it's version of this well known chapter. I like what it says as well, although again, I fail miserably.

Love never gives up. (How many times have I said, "Forget it, I tried."?)
Love cares more for others than for self. (I put myself first all of the time, sad to say, but especially in my home with my own family)
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
I'm soooo guilty of always wanting more, trying to keep up.
Love doesn't strut. (a meaning of strut according to dictionary.com: to dress, behave, perform etc one's best in order to impress others; show off) I'd like to think I'm not guilty of this, but in some way or another I know I am.
doesn't have a swelled head, Sometimes my head definately baloons up, I am proud of certain things I've done or people (children) I've raised
doesn't force itself on others Many times I really wish others just got things the way I got them, drove the way I drove, wanted to do things my way...
Isn't always "Me first", See "Love cares more for others than self" above
Doesn't fly off the handle All I can say is my poor kids some days, or the person on the phone that isn't getting me
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others How many times have I at least though "At least I'm not doing..." or but look what that person has said or done, I'm better than that...
Doesn't revel when others grovel No immediate thought is coming to my mind, but again, I know without a doubt that I'm guilty of this
takes pleasure in the flowering of truth Now this is one where I succeed, I definately take pleasure in the flowering of truth... as long as the truth isn't going to bring me down or reveal something I don't want revealed
puts up with anything Puts up with very little would better describe me
trusts God always Trusts God, but trusts self more often would be a better description of myself
Always looks for the best I'm more of a glass half empty person unfortunately
Never looks back Always looking back
But keeps going to the end. Gives up far to easy and far to often

Well, now that you all know that I'm a terrible sinner, oh wait, you already knew that, because really, aren't we all? I'm so thankful for a God that is quick to forgive when we ask and loves us no matter what, a God that will not turn us away because of one thing we do wrong. This is definately part of my daily prayers, that I would be better at loving.


Another chapter I've been looking at is Proverbs 31:10-31 (The wife of noble charecter), which was convicting in the NIV version, but then I read the Message version and felt even worse about the job I've been doing as a wife and mother.

It's long, but I encourage you to look it up on Bible Gateway when you have a few minutes, I'm going to highlight only a few, but know that once again, I'm guilty of all of not obeing any of them fully...
Never spiteful, she treats him generously all her life
She shops around for the best yarns and cottons, and enjoys knitting and sewing
She's up before dawn preparing breakfast for her family and organizing her day
She senses the worth of her work, is in no hurry to call it quits for the day
diligent in homemaking
always faces tomorow with a smile
When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say and she always says it kindly

So, adding that to my daily prayers. To be a better wife and mother, being more diligent and less lazy, more productive, more God fearing and more generous.

No comments: