February 8, 2010

Healthier?

We've been trying to be a little healthier over here. By "We", I mean "I", the rest of the family is just along for the ride! By healthier I mean exercising, eating better and trying my hardest to loose some of this weight that just doesn't fall off like it used to.

Eating healthier has meant that I joined Weight Watchers online. It's only been a few weeks, but most of all I've learned to eat lower calorie, lower fat, high fiber foods. Filling foods. Food that make me feel satisfied for longer. One of my newest favorite recipes is this:
Mexican Quinoa (If you've never tried Quinoa you definately should, yummy)
2t Olive Oil
1/2c. quinoa rinsed thoroughly (you can get this at health food stores and I also found it at Meijers on the top shelf by the rice)
1/2c. chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced (I used the jar kind)
1/2c diced red pepper
1 14 1/2oz can rotel undrained
1 can whole kernel corn undrained
1/4t ground cumin
1/4t ground red pepper
1/4t salt
1 can black beans, rinsed
avacado
cheese

In a 2 quart nonstick saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add qunioa, onion, garlic and red pepper and cook, stirring, until quinoa begins to crackle and onion is soft.

Add tomatoes, corn and seasonings, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until quinoa is translucent and tender. Add black beans.

Uncover and continue cooking 5 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.

Makes 4 servings, add 1/8 of an avacado chopped up and 1/8c cheese for a 5 point meal!

Excercising has meant that I get up much earlier than I ever though possible and head to the gym almost every morning. But now that I'm sleeping through the night it isn't so bad.

Speaking of Lila... she is on the move. FAST. She is trying so hard to pull herself up on everything and reach everything (and then proceed to eat it). Definately takes more supervision, but I would say that it makes her a bit happier than she used to be. She still likes us to be close, but were used to that! At her nine month appt last week she weighed in at 23 pounds 9 ounces, she is finally slowing down a bit! She has an eye doctor appt next week for her clogged tear duct, I'm not sure how bad it really is, but we'll see what they say!

Elliot had a big day a few weeks back (which I mentioned in a previous post). He started three-school. Just one day a week, the only opening that Zeeland Christian had mid-semester. He did so good when I dropped him off, he said goodbye and went and played, he loves it. He knows no one in his class so I wasn't sure how he would do, but it seems to be going well. I also signed him up for preschool next year, three days a week with his "best friend" as he says! The poor boy gets so bored at home with me so it will be nice for him to get to go to school!

Landon is busy with basketball on Saturday mornings and Bailey also has soccer on Saturdays, luckily only one game has overlapped! They seem to be having fun, both seemed to have improved over the last year quite a bit, Bailey scored her first goal ever this past week, we were all very excited for her adn luckily Matt was able to be there to see it!

I've taken very very few pictures so far this year and even fewer of them have made it off my camera onto my computer (0 to be exact). Hopefully I will find some time to do that soon and will be able to share some cuteness!

No comments: